Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Raw Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble


I usually care more about eating locally than eating raw, so I was disappointed when I realized that rhubarb season was here, and that I didn't know how to enjoy it raw. Inspired by a couple of recipes, I decided to make a raw crumble. 


I was initially skeptical about the addition of rosemary to a dessert, but its distinct flavour mixes with the other ingredients and just adds to the unique taste of the filling.

Though the filling is sweet, the tartness of the rhubarb remains. Even after 5 days of soaking, the rhubarb was still crunchy—maybe crushing it in a blender would create a softer texture, but I couldn't be bothered. There was plenty of leftover juice from my filling, and I've reserved it in a jar for some future use, because it's too delicious to throw away. I love to just smell it.

My mom is a rhubarb fanatic, and loves the crumble. I initially loved the crumble...but, as my stomach is very sensitive to acidic foods, I've discovered I can't enjoy it to the extent that she has... disappointing, after waiting nearly a week to try it. 


Though the recipe may seem lengthy, I can assure you that it's not much work, just a lot of waiting. However, if the filling seems unappealing, I can recommend the crumble topping on its own—it's difficult to keep ones hands out of the dehydrator, waiting for it. It'd make a great granola to go with Cashew Yogurt. If the topping is the trouble, the filling could work on its own as well, as an ice cream topping, or something.


Raw Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble 

Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling:
(adapted from here & here)

Ingredients:
  • 1000 grams fresh rhubarb, chopped 1/4"-1/2" pieces
  • 400 grams strawberry, sliced
  • 220 grams honey
  • 90 grams freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 10 grams fresh rosemary sprigs

Instructions:

1. Combine fruit, honey, rosemary and juice in a bowl and stir to ensure everything is coated.
2. Rest, covered, at room temperature for 8 hours, then refrigerate until needed (which happened to be 5 days for me...I'd give it at least 2)

Crumble:
(adapted from Golubka)

Ingredients:
  • 115 grams pecans, ground—small chunks are ok
  • 55 grams sprouted oat flour (finely ground sprouted & dehydrated oat groats)
  • 50 grams sprouted and dehydrated quinoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 75 grams hazelnut pulp, leftover from making Hazelnut Milk (Almond milk pulp would also work)
  • 185 grams plump medjool dates, chopped
  • 1 vanilla bean, finely chopped
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 200 grams juice from the Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling, after it has sat for a couple days

Instructions:

1. Mix together first five ingredients.
2. Add dates, vanilla bean and zest. Using your hands, work the bits of dates into the dry ingredients.
3. Once dough begins to clump, add juice and mix.
4. Spread crumble on a non-stick dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115F for 24 hours, or until mixture is dry.

Assembly:

1. Remove rosemary sprigs, spread filling in desired pan and gently press down (mine was : 10½" diameter & 1¼" deep).
2. Break apart crumble topping and spread evenly onto filling.
3. Warm in dehydrator before serving, or serve cold.

PS: Our apple trees seem to be unharmed by the late frost and are now in blossom!

10 comments:

  1. I've never tried a raw crumble, but I'm intrigued! Love the combination of rhubarb and strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the combination of strawberries and rhubarb, and am so excited to see rhubarb in season! I never would have thought to use it raw, though. Soaking it is a great idea, I may have to try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Do you have a good source for vanilla beans (not super expensive)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered mine from Real Raw Food: http://www.realrawfood.com/
      I never did a price comparison, because I was using it to bulk up an order so I could get real raw almonds, but I can recommend the company—the beans are great...and so were the almonds!

      Delete
  4. Wow I am amazed by your raw rhubarb invention! I sure will try it! and I can absolutely imagine that the crumb would work it´s magic on some rawghurt (or just out of the jar;)

    Beautiful!

    /Elenore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Strawberry rhubarb crumble is my favourite, I'd love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just harvested my pitiful crop of rhubarb...wish I had more and I'd make your lovely crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just made it this morning. And it was ohhhh so gooood. My gang helped themselves to seconds and even thirds, until they couldn't fit it anymore and at that point it was almost gone too :) Thank you!
    click link for Microsoft Software Download information website

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! Nothing better than a good rhubarb strawberry crumble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anthropology Optional for UPSC
    by Pradip Sarkar
    New Batch Starting from 14th Jan. 2019
    Online/Offline Class also Available
    Admission Open, Join Now

    Visit: https://bit.ly/2HsrPj3
    Call: 8700922126 || 011-2875 6962 || 9718354962
    Email: sapiensias@gmail.com
    Address: 17A/44, W.E.A. 3rd Floor, Near Karol Bagh Metro Station (Pillar No. 99), New Delhi- 110005.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...